Frequently Asked Questions

Office of the Tax Collector

When are Taxes due?

Taxes are due quarterly on the 1st of the following months: February, May, August and November. There is a 10-day grace period before interest accrues.

Do I qualify for Tax Deductions?

Deductions are given to qualified veterans and senior citizens; a list of eligibility requirements and an application may be obtained by visiting the Gloucester County Tax Assessment web page at

When are sewer bills due?

Sewer bills are due quarterly on the 15th of the following months: February, May, August and November. There is a 30-day grace period before interest accrues.

How are sewer bills calculated?

Residential sewer bills are based on water consumption for the months of January, February, and March. Water usage reports are provided by New Jersey American Water.

What is the 2014 current tax rate?

The current tax rate is $2.787 per $100.00 of assessed value of your home.

Office of the Municipal Clerk & Registrar of Vital Statistics

What are the hours of the notary?

8:00 am to 4:00 pm

What do I need to bring with me when licensing my dog/cat?

You will need to provide a copy of your pet’s most recent rabies vaccination record and the animal’s spay/neuter certificate. The rabies vaccination must be valid through November 1st in order for the Municipal Clerk to issue a license. A $10.00 late fee will be assessed for each dog/cat licensed after March 31st. License fees prior to March 31st are as follows:

Dogs: $ 8.20 (if spayed/neutered); $11.20 (if not spayed/neutered)

Cats: $2.00 (if spayed/neutered); $5.00 (if not spayed/neutered)

How can I get a copy of ……..?

Most government records (other than those pertaining to vital statistics) are considered public documents. For a nominal fee, public records may obtained by completing an Open Public Records request form and submitting it to the Custodian of Records, Diane Malloy. Open Public Records request forms (commonly referred to as OPRA forms) are available on our website or by contacting the Municipal Clerk directly.

How do I get a certified copy of a birth / death / marriage certificate?

For instructions on applying for a copy of a vital record (marriage certificate / death certificate / birth record) you should first contact the Municipal Registrar so that she may determine what type of identification you will be required to provide. Certified copies of vital records are available at a cost of $25.00 per copy for the first copy, and $2.00 per additional copy obtained at the same time. Payment may be made via by cash or check only.

How do I apply for a marriage license?

You must contact the Registrar / Municipal Clerk to schedule an appointment; she will then provide guidance on what documents are necessary for issuance of a marriage license. The fee for applying for a marriage license is $28.00 payable by cash or check only.

When are Township Committee meetings held?

Township Committee meetings are held the first and third Monday of every month (dates are subject to change; changes will be posted on the township’s website) A complete list of meeting dates is available on our website.

How do I go about registering to vote or changing my political party affiliation?

The Municipal Clerk can provide you with a voter registration form which may be used for new registrations, changing your political party affiliation and for submitting a change of address. Voter registration forms are also available on our website.

I am going to be out of town during the upcoming election, can I get an Absentee Ballot?

Absentee Ballots have been replaced by Vote By Mail ballots. A Vote By Mail ballot may be obtained from the Municipal Clerk or from the County Clerk’s office. The ballot offers registered voters the opportunity to vote by mail for one election, or for the entire year. In addition, the Gloucester County Clerk’s Office offers registered voters the opportunity to vote at the county store located in the Deptford Mall. For information on voting at the mall you may contact the Gloucester County store at (856) 686-6013.

How do I obtain a copy of an Ordinance which was recently introduced, and what is the fee?

Resolutions and Ordinances are maintained by the Municipal Clerk. A copy of an Ordinance recently introduced but not yet adopted is available from the Municipal Clerk at no charge. All other copies may be obtained for a small fee by completing an OPRA request and submitting it to the Municipal Clerk.

Public Works

I just moved into my new home. How do I go about getting a trash cart and a recycling cart?

First and foremost, welcome to the neighborhood! If your home is new construction, you will need to contact the Public Works Department (223-1308) once you’ve moved in to your new home. You will be informed as to the designated collection day for your address and a work order will be generated to have the carts delivered to you. Please be sure to check inside of the carts as there will be a packet of information detailing how the trash/recycle program works. Please keep this packet on hand for any future questions or concerns. If you are moving into an existing home, there should be a set of carts at your home. Carts are the property of Harrison Township and as such, they remain with each individual property.

How do I go about getting a replacement (or an extra) trash/recycling cart?

You will have to contact the Public Works office at (856) 223-1308 to discuss and seek approval for an additional trash or recycling cart. Typically, additional carts are not distributed and the decision to provide same is made on a case by case basis. Replacement carts are handled in the same manner. All requests are handled by Public Works.

How do I go about having my old furniture/ carpet/ television/ appliances picked up?

Special Arrangements are required for pick-up of large items such as furniture, carpet appliances and electronics. Please call (856) 478-4111 x157 to schedule pick-up of larger items and for information on preparing those items for pick-up.

How do I dispose of vegetative waste such as tree branches and leaves?

Vegetative waste cannot be included with your regular trash or recyclables, but must be taken to the township’s Recycling Center for disposal. The Recycling Center, located at 151 Colson Lane is open on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. year-round. It is also open on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. from April to October.

Who is responsible for plowing my development / street?

If you live on a county road, the county is responsible for plowing. If you live on a state road / highway, the state is responsible for plowing. Harrison Township’s Public Works Department is responsible for plowing all township-owned roads that have been accepted as complete by the township and no longer bonded by the developer. If you are unsure of which category applies to you, you may call the Public Works Department at (856) 223-1308.

Who is responsible for removal of deer or other animal carcasses from the roads?

You may report the problem to the Public Works Department at (856) 223-1308.

Who removes deer or other animal carcasses from private property?

Removal of an animal carcass from private property is the responsibility of the homeowner.

My street light is burned out. Who should I call?

Call Atlantic City Electric directly at 1-800-642-3780. Be prepared to provide them with the street address or the name of the closest crossroad to the inoperable streetlight, and the pole number (which can be found on street light pole).

Construction & Code Enforcement

Where can I get a copy of my property survey?

You should have received one when you purchased the property. If your copy is lost or misplaced, you might be able to obtain a copy from the township by submitting an OPRA request to the Municipal Clerk. Please note that it is the responsibility of the homeowner, not the Township, to maintain a copy of your property survey.

The grass in my neighbor’s yard is very high, is there someone I can call?

Call the Zoning Officer at 478-6522 to report the lack of property maintenance.

When is a permit required?

Permits are required for projects that change the footprint of the building, lot coverage, use of the space, etc.. It is however possible that a zoning approval (permit) will be required for your intended project. Below is a list of some of the most common projects, followed by information on the type of permit required. This list is for reference only, you should check with the Construction Department prior to beginning any actual work.

  • AIR CONDITIONING – Electric & Plumbing
  • ALARMS- Burglar – Electric, Fire/Smoke/Carbon Monoxide – Electric & Fire
  • ALTERATIONS – Residential or Commercial – All
  • BASEMENT REFINISHING/REMODELING – Building, Electrical, Fire and Plumbing BATHROOM FIXTURES-Direct replacement and or any piping changes – Plumbing (need licensed plumbing contractor or homeowner)
  • CAR PORT – Building, others as needed
  • DECK – Building
  • DEMOLITION – Building
  • DOORS adding, enlarging or eliminating – Building
  • ELECTRIC WORK – Electric
  • ELEVATOR – Elevator
  • FENCE – Building – If: – around a pool or: – over 6′ or: commercial
  • FIREPLACE – Building, Fire, Plumbing, Chimney Certification
  • GARAGE – Building – (others as needed)
  • GAZEBO – If over 100′ – Building
  • HEATING/VENT/AC (HVAC) – Electric (if fuel fired equip. does not need licensed electrician), Fire, Plumbing
  • HOOD – Fire & Electric
  • LAWN SPRINKLER – Electric, Plumbing & Copy of D.E.P. Landscape Irrigation License
  • MOVING A STRUCTURE – Building and all utility sign-offs as for demo. Also would require footing/foundation application for setting the structure in new location.
  • PLUMBING WORK – Plumbing
  • POOL – Building, Electric, Plumbing, Fire (for heater)
  • PORCH – Building
  • RADON – Building, Electric
  • RAMP – Building
  • ROOF – Building
  • SATELLITE DISH – over 24″ Diameter – Building
  • SHED – Over 100 sq ft or over 10′ high – Building
  • SIDING – Building
  • SIGNS – Building, Electric
  • SPA/HOT TUB – Building, Electric
  • SPRINKLER – Fire
  • STEPS – Building
  • STOVE WOOD BURNING – Building, Fire
  • TANK (installation, abandonment or removal) – Building, Fire
  • WATER HEATER – Plumbing
  • WINDOWS – adding, enlarging, or eliminating – Building

Historic Preservation – The Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) protects the exterior of buildings within the township’s Historic District. Any changes to the exterior require a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA). The Commission meets on the second Thursday of each month in the courtroom of the Municipal Building at 7:00 p.m. For additional information regarding the HPC or their requirements, you may contact Sue Champion at (856) 478-6522.


I am new to the area and would like to register my child for: soccer, little league, football etc. Do I contact the township’s Recreation Department?

Sports League registrations are not done through the Recreation Department, you must register directly with each sports organization. Links to each of the township’s sporting organizations may be found on this website under the Community tab.

Do you have to live in Harrison Township in order to participate in local sports?

No, however some organizations will prioritize teams according to residency.

How much are the discounted amusement tickets?

A list of discounted amusement tickets offered through the Recreation Department can be accessed here.

What is the cost to rent the pavilion at Ella Harris Park?

There is no charge for using the pavilion, however donations are accepted and aid in maintaining the park and pavilion. A playing field/park permit can be downloaded here under the POSAC tab. After confirming with the Recreation Office that the requested date is indeed available, the rental form must be completed and returned to the Recreation office along with any intended donation (made payable to Harrison Township). A copy of the application should be kept with you on the day of your event.

I signed my child up for an event through the township’s Recreation Department. How will I know if an event has been canceled?

If an event is cancelled due to weather conditions there will be a message recorded on our direct line (856-223-8777) and the notice of cancellation will be posted on the township website.


Where is the Harrison Township Police Department located?

The Harrison Township Police Department is located at 137 North Main Street, Mullica Hill, NJ, 08062.

What are the telephone numbers for the Police Department?

For emergencies dial 911. For non-emergencies contract Gloucester County Dispatch at 856-589-0911. The Police Department’s business line is 856-478-6839, Fax 856-478-6268.

How can I get a copy of a police report?

Police reports can generally be obtained five to seven business days after the report has been taken. You may contact the Police Department at 856-478-6839 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for information on fees and availability of your report.

Where do I go to pay a fine or motor vehicle ticket/summons?

Payments may be made at the Municipal Court Office located in the Municipal Building, 114 Bridgeton Pike, Mullica Hill, NJ 08062. For additional information on paying your fine online, please refer to the back of your summons. Payments may also be made online at The Court Administrator may be reached at (856) 478-4049.

Where is Municipal Court held?

Municipal Court is held on the first and third Tuesday of every month at the Municipal Building located at 114 Bridgeton Pike, Mullica Hill, NJ. Court sessions begin at 5:30 pm.

How do I obtain a handicapped parking permit?

Temporary Handicapped Parking Permit applications may be obtained from the Harrison Township Police Department. The completed application along with a check in the amount of $4.00 payable to NJMVC, must be returned to the Police Department for approval by the Chief of Police. Once approved, a permit valid for a period of six months will be issued. Permanent Handicapped Parking Permits or License Plates are obtained through the Division of Motor Vehicles.

Planning/Zoning (Joint Land Use)

What is the purpose of the JLUB?

The Joint Land Use Board is the municipal body that implements the land use ordinances of the Township and oversees the land use policies. The Joint Land Use Board’s duties primarily include the review of applications for development of lands within the Township to ensure compliance with the law, zoning variances, appeals from determinations of the administrative officer, interpretations of ordinances, periodic review of the development plan for the Township and, when appropriate, recommending changes to the zones. The Board also created, with the assistance of professional planners, the Township’s Master Plan which is the document that outlines growth for the future of the Township.

Applications for residential, commercial, institutional and industrial development are submitted to the Joint Land Use Board. The Board, with the assistance of its Solicitor, Professional Engineers and Planner, reviews the development applications and conducts public hearings at which the public is invited to hear about and comment on the proposed development. During the review process, the Board ensures that the proposed development meets the requirements of the Township Ordinances, as well as the Municipal Land Use Law and the Residential Site Improvement Standards of the State of New Jersey, and other state and federal requirements that may be applicable to the project, and within those parameters attempts to ensure a safe and attractive development.

When is a Zoning Permit required?

Zoning Permits are needed for any change to the exterior of the property. If you are doing an addition or adding a shed, pool, or deck, a zoning permit is required. If someone is going to be using their property for a business, they must first check with the Zoning Officer to see if such a use is permitted within that particular zone.

My property survey shows an easement running through my property. I’m not sure what the easement is for and whether or not I may put a fence/shed/trees/etc in the easement.

Look at your property deed, Homeowner’s Association document and/or Covenants of Restrictions documents for a description of the easement and its purpose. Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to put a permanent structure in an easement as it may interfere with the purpose of the easement.


Where do I go to pay my sewer bill?

The township’s Tax Collector’s office is located in the Municipal Building and is responsible for collecting sewer fees as well as property taxes. For information on your sewer bill you may contact the Tax Collector at (856) 478-6454 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

What purpose does the Wastewater Treatment Facility (WWTF) serve?

The WWTF is the municipal utility responsible for treatment of all raw sewerage. Waste is pumped to the facility (located on Woodland Avenue) and goes through a number of treatment procedures before being discharged as treated effluent to the Raccoon Creek. The WWTF maintains a collection system that includes sixteen (16) pump stations and about 17 miles of force mains, and 32 miles of gravity lines along with close to 800 manholes.

I am having issues with my water service (odor, pressure, etc.), can you help?

Unfortunately, no. The water service in Harrison Township is owned and operated by New Jersey American Water, who can be reached by calling 1-800- 652-6987.

Why are their men from the Township’s WWTF in my yard and what is the purpose of the colored paint / flags?

When someone is going to dig, the law requires they call for a ‘mark out’ of buried utilities before beginning their intended project. Different utilities use different color flags to mark their specific lines; the WWTF staff uses green paint and flags to mark the Harrison Township wastewater lines.

What is that 4 inch cap in my yard and why do I need to keep it exposed?

It is the homeowner’s access to the wastewater lateral from your home to the line in the street.

You should keep it exposed so if a blockage occurs, the line can be easily located. For questions about a particular problem or blockage you may contact the WWTF at (856) 478-4333.

What is a Sewer System?

As you know, domestic wastewater is discharged from plumbing fixtures and appliances found in your home. From your home runs a line called a ‘lateral’, which ties directly into the gravity line located in the street (and is owned and maintained by the township). The gravity line, which is owned and maintained by the township, has manhole access about every 250 feet for cleaning and maintenance purposes. Throughout the system are ‘pump stations’. Pump Stations are used for pumping the product from a low elevation, to a higher elevation. The ultimate goal is that the waste eventually reaches the WWTF.

How does the township manage storm water?

The townships storm drain system is designed to route all untreated runoff from impervious surfaces including roofs, parking lots, roads, sidewalks, and other hardened surfaces. The system is supplied by storm drains that can be seen on roads and in parking lots. The storm drain system is made up of numerous basins which receive untreated runoff and help to control flooding within the township. These basins, which can be as large as a football field, not only prevent flooding but also promote the recharge of underlying aquifers.